Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Dinner tonight - Lasagna Bolognese

I got this baby recipes book with lots of really simple recipes that are healthy and full of nutrients for babies and adults. One of the recipes that I really like is the Bolognese sauce. Instead of using canned tomato like most of the recipes; this uses fresh tomatoes. You can do anything you want with the Bolognese sauce. I made Lasagna with it today because we have too many half used boxes left. I also improvised the recipe to have more veggies and used the crockpot to save me cooking time.

1 small onion - rough chopped
3/4 cup of carrot - rough chopped
4 Tb of celery
1 Tb of Italian seasoning (I actually more like 2. but you can always add, not take out)
1 tsp of salt
7 grinds of freshly ground pepper
1 lb ground meat (I used turkey, use whatever you have)
1/4 cup of chicken stock
1 can tomato paste
1 cup of mushroom (again use whatever you have. I used my rehydrated shiitake mushroom)

Toss EVERYTHING into the crockpot. Turn it on high. Wait 4-5 hours. Or slow for 8 hours.
Use a handblender to blend everything until smooth. That's what you only need to rough chop.

Ta da. Bolognese sauce is done!

If you want to make Lasagna with it.
Mix some ricotta cheese with the sauce, layer them with no boil Lasanga sheets in the order of sauce, sheet, sauce, parmasen cheese, sheet, sauce, parmasen cheese, for as many layers as you want.
Finally put more sauce and parmasen cheese on top after the last layer.
Bake for half an hour with the a foil, and then 15 min without.

EASY!

No comments: