Monday, November 5, 2007

Crazy fees for mutual fund

I've been so busy with my son lately that I haven't done any research for this blog. I'm determined to figure out all the investment options so I can make some mula out of my small amount of cash saved up.

Anyhoo, I read up on Mutual fund fees. OMG, I had no idea how much they charge to manage mutual funds!!!

Mangement fee -- it pays the manager to manage the fund
Admin cost -- bookkeeping, customer service line, etc
12b-1 distribution fee -- fee used to advertise the fund. WTF?
Loads -- fee for selling the fund to the investor. So the middleman makes a cut. Thank Gawd here is also No load fund.
Front end load -- The broker takes a cut immediately after you buy the fund
Deferred load -- Kinda like Front end load, except that it is deferred to when you sell the fund. aka B shares
Leveled load -- there is a load every year for holding it. Yikes! aka C shares
Turnover rate and tax -- It means how often the fund sells stocks and gets new ones. The money earned from selling the stocks means there is tax for it. So the higher the turnover, the more tax to pay every year. It's kinda a PITA.

Well obviously the best stock to earn according to the article is No load Index funds. I have to agree. I don't want to pay money for a fund that will underperform! Unless I have a lot of time, and I found a killer fund that performs way better than market, I'll probably go the safer route of owning No Load Index fund.

Now I think I have to go back to check on my funds to see what I have. I'm probably paying an arm and leg for the fees. I wish I read about these sooner.

No comments: